Lentil salad with summer harvest
- Place the lentils and the wine in a medium saucepan over medium heat and simmer until the wine has been absorbed.
- Add the stock or water, onion and garlic to the saucepan with the lentils and bring to a boil over high heat, lower to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Whisk the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper together in a small bowl and reserve.
- When the lentils are done, drain and pick out onion and garlic pieces and discard. Place lentils in the serving bowl and pour a tablespoon of the dressing onto the warm lentils and stir gently to combine. Reserve remaining dressing.
- Turn your grill on to medium-high heat. Brush the eggplant and red onion with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill the eggplant and onion until tender and slightly charred (not burned).
- Chop the grilled vegetables into bite-size pieces and add to the lentils. Add the chopped tomato, parsley leaves and walnuts.
- Toss the salad with the remainder of the dressing and taste for salt. Serve warm or room temperature.
¾ cup French lentils, picked over and rinsed¼ cup dry white wine½ yellow onion2 garlic cloves, smashed3 cups vegetable stock or water2 Tablespoons unrefined, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing vegetables (or use melted unrefined coconut oil to grill vegetables)3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar, preferably raw1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to tasteFreshly ground black pepper to taste2 medium eggplants (approx. 1- 1 ¼ pound each), sliced lengthwise ½-inch thick1 small red onion, sliced into whole rings1 large tomato, diced⅓ cup fresh whole flat-leaf parsley leaves½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped